Thursday, July 5, 2012

The Partridge Family - Love is All That I Ever Needed




I knew this was going to happen.
I was a huge fan of the Partridge Family when I was a kid. Watched the show, had the albums, etc. A few weeks ago I ran across Season 2 of the show on DVD for $6. Well, how can you pass that up? I bought it and have been making my way thru the episodes. Does it hold up? Yes and no. The humor holds up surprisingly well. The presence of Danny, the financial guru/resident smart ass never fails to keep things lively and the banter between him and Reuben Kincaid (the band's manager) is usually fun. What doesn't hold up as well are the songs. I have found myself fast-forwarding thru quite a few of them. However, there are quite a few gems in there. Despite the cheesy arrangements, there are some good songs in there. You could easily do some updating and have them sounding really great. I once had a discussion with a friend about music and the topic was, "There are no bad songs, only bad arrangements." True or not, many songs can be rescued w/ a fresh interpretation.
Back to the Partridge Family. A few years ago, Sarah and I saw "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" starring Patrick Cassidy. He's one of Shirley's sons. (David was her step-son) Right before the show, Sarah turns to me and says, "That lady looks like Shirley Jones." I looked and said, "That's because she is Shirley Jones." Yep. She sat about 2 rows in front of us. I'm hoping that I might run into Danny Bonaduce in town sometime. He works for a local radio station.
Anyhow, my geek is showing a little too much for comfort so I'll shutup now. Enjoy your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment