Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Public Image Limited - Seattle





Despite what Johnny says in this interview, I've always heard that the song is about the band's dislike for Seattle. I don't dislike Seattle. In fact, I really love it here...but...there are some things I don't like. Here's a list.

1) Cost of Living: It's super expensive here. Sarah and I could afford a house on what we make almost anywhere else in the country, but not in Seattle. Hate that.

2) City Life: Sometimes I enjoy it but I really get tired of the noise. Sarah and I talk of retiring to Whidbey Island and that sounds fine with me.

3) The Seattle Freeze: People here are friendly but they won't let you get close to them. That's the Freeze. We've lived here 7 years and it's been a struggle the entire time to make friends and keep them. We get weary of the process.

4) No Sense of Humor: For the most part, folks in Seattle don't have a good sense of humor. For the first year or two I was here I thought I had lost my touch. But, no...it's not me. I've confirmed this w/ others who have moved here. Seattlites take themselves way too seriously. It's sad but I never laugh anymore. I miss that.

5) Traffic: It's bad here. Getting from one place to another takes planning...especially if you want to arrive on time.

6) Long Winters: They do get a bit long and dreary but I do prefer it over the alternative which is scorching heat in the summer everywhere else.

That's all I can think of. Perhaps one day I'll share what I do like about Seattle. That list is much longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment