Thursday, June 28, 2012

Buck Owens and Ringo Starr - Act Naturally






Anyone who knows me is familiar with the fact that I'm not fond of country music. I have softened a bit in my old age but, for the most part, most country music leaves me cold. That doesn't mean that I'm not familiar with the genre. I grew up listening to a ton of it. My parents had albums by the likes of Loretta Lynn, Merle Haggard, Charlie Pride, Conway Twitty, Johnny Cash, Lynn Anderson, and Marty Robbins. As a youngster, my curiosity for music overwhelmed me and I listened to most of these, trying to glean something good out of it. When I was a kid, I accompanied my parents to Tammy Wynette and Jerry Reed concerts at the fair. (I enjoyed Jerry) My grandparents also had albums by Jimmy Dean, Tennessee Ernie Ford and Roger Miller. They also watched Hee-Haw. Since I stayed with them a lot, I also watched Hee-Haw. I'm sure I saw Buck Owens sing "Act Naturally" on the show.
Fast forward to years later when I had discovered the Beatles. Their version of this song is the one I hear in my head. So, when perusing YouTube for a version of the song to post, I was leaning towards the Beatles' version. Instead, I discovered this video and it seemed fitting to post it in honor of Buck, who wrote and originally performed the song, and Ringo, the voice I most predominantly hear singing the song.
Yee-haw!

No comments:

Post a Comment