Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Giant - Get Used To It



I heard this song yesterday so it's no surprise that it popped into my head this morning. I had my "Guitar Rock" playlist on Spotify set on shuffle so I was hearing all kinds of rockin' goodness.
Giant is a band that's not that well known by the masses. I knew about them because of my church background. Back in the dark ages, when it was evil to listen to secular rock and roll, this little Baptist boy was struggling to find something he could listen to. Gospel quartets and Sandi Patty were okay for the fogeys but not for this boy raised on 70's rock. One day I discovered a band called Whiteheart. I recognized immediately a band filled with guys who knew how to play, especially Dann Huff, the guitarist and sometimes vocalist. He left the band after 2 albums but later emerged in the band Giant with his brother David on drums. Giant was just a good, solid stadium rock band bolstered by the monstrous talents of Dann.
I wonder what Dann Huff is doing these days? I think he returned to doing session work (which is where he started). Wherever he is, Dann easily sits in my list of best rock guitarists and vocalists.
No matter what type of music you like, enjoy some today. I can't imagine life without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment